In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Green Apple and Shallot Raita

At the end of each semester all of the professional staff in my office gathers together to make a feast for our student employees during exam week. It is a fun day and a great way to thank all of our students for the hard work they do. I always have a hard time deciding what to bring, so I wait until I see what all my other co-workers write on the sign up sheet and then I try and make something to compliment their dishes. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when I saw that one of my co-workers wrote 2 Indian dishes on the list. My favorite part of making Indian food is the Raitas and the Chutneys. I'm looking forward to making some new recipes, but I can guarantee this one will be at the top of my list for the feast next week.

Green Apple and Shallot Raita
adapted from At Home with Madhur Jaffrey

1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and coarsely grated
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds 
1 small shallot, peeled and cut into fine slivers


Put yogurt in a medium bowl. Add salt, pepper, cayenne, sugar, ginger, cumin, and apple. Stir until well blended.
Pour the oil in a very small fry pan and set over medium-high heat. Add cardamom seeds. Turn heat to medium, remove cardamom seeds and add the shallots, stir and fry until the slivers just start to turn brown on the edges. Pour entire contents of pan including the oil into the yogurt mixture. Stir to mix well. Serve with your favorite curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails